Thursday, July 17, 2008

Something easy for dinner

Easy Enchilada Stuff
Here's what we had for dinner the other night and it's so easy that I wanted to share it with you.
Have you ever made enchiladas? I love them, but they are labor intensive. My daughter and I, over the years have pared it down to this easy recipe.
First, brown 2 pounds of ground beef. You could add a chopped onion in here, like I usually do, but we didn't have any onions for this meal and I was too lazy to run to the store for one onion.
Drain it, if necessary. We had extra lean and there was nothing to drain. We've also made this with ground turkey and with cubed chicken breast. Both were yummy, so feel free to be inventive.



Get a bag of 3 dozen corn tortillas and rip them into bite size pieces. I tear up about 4 at a time into a big bread bowl. Rip up all 36 of them.



Get out the 2 pounds of shredded cheese (my favorite style is Monterrey Jack or the Mexican blend, but cheddar or mozzarella will work nicely, too) and a couple of cans of enchilada sauce. For this recipe, I use 2 large (about 30 oz) or one large and one smaller. My favorite is green sauce, but if you like the red, go for it. Open the bag and open the cans and dump it all into the ripped up tortillas.
OK, maybe you might want to save a handful or two of the cheese to sprinkle on top. I forgot to do that step this time. Guess I was in too much of a hurry. :o) Had to get back to quilting, you know.

You've got the corn tortillas, hamburger, cheese and enchilada sauce all together in a big huge bowl, now make sure you stir it up well. It works best if the tortillas get coated well with the sauce. Now, dump it in a pan (or two). Sometimes I cook it in a 4-qt Dutch oven pan, but this time,


I baked it in a 13x9x2 pan and there was still enough to fill a 9x9x2 pan and put it in the freezer for a different meal. Once it's in the pan, you can sprinkle it with cheese, if you'd like. Not necessary, and a bit messy.


Now, cover it with foil and put it in a 350 degree oven and bake for about 45 minutes. That's it.
Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the baked version, but it looks about the same. It's goes well garnished with sour cream and salsa, and with beans and/or rice as a side dish. Yum! Let me know if you try it and if your family liked it.

***It tastes even better as microwaved leftovers.

1 comment:

Cher said...

I invented something similar to this 20 years ago - but included various types of beans like pinto/red and left out the meat part-very tasty, and my boys always loved it.